Monday, January 9

Happy Birthday Rachel


Rachel turned 7 years old yesterday, and it seems so crazy. It doesn't seem like she's been around long enough to be 7 yet, but at the same time I'm always forgetting that she's only 7 and expecting her to act older (because she normally does).

This was the first year that one of our kids decided to invite friends from the neighborhood for their party. Up 'til now the kids have all wanted family parties, which I totally prefer because there's no pressure for me -- I don't have to worry about whether people are having fun or not, because I just assume that people will entertain themselves.

Anyway, this year Rachel told us that she was going to have a pirate party, and she gave me a list of who she wanted to invite. As I was telling her that she might not be able to invite everyone, Jon interrupted and told her that she could invite as many people as she wanted. As it turns out, we ended up with 18 little girls running around our house. Luckily, Jon is a master at making things seem fun, so I put him in charge of games.
I was surprised at how many of the kids dressed up -- and I don't just mean they wore an eye-patch or a hat, but they came totally decked out. It was really fun to see. For games we had an obstacle course, acrobatic feats (Jon felt this activity was a must), stealing treasure (a variation on capture the flag), and a treasure hunt.
I must say that it seemed to be a huge success. All the kids seemed to have a really good time, no one ended up in tears, and I didn't worry about who was or was not having fun. So, one party down, and who knows how many more to go. I have a feeling this is only the beginning of crazy friend parties. But it was a success, so, let the craziness begin!

1 comment:

  1. That party looks like so much fun. I bet Rachel had the time of her life.

    ReplyDelete