Tuesday, February 11

Washington D.C.

Jon had work in Washington D.C. this last week, and I flew out half way through for a little vacation.  We have talked about taking a trip to D.C. for a long time, but whenever it comes to actually plan vacations, other choices always win out.  So, this was our chance to finally make the D.C. trip happen.
It was so fun being with him.  Our first 2 days Jon was still working, so I spent 2 blissful days just relaxing at the hotel.  My days were full of books, naps and movies, and then Jon would come home and we got to have date night.
When the weekend came, we went into the city and saw some of the sights.  By the end of our first day I was feeling so, so tired.  I was sure we had walked about a million miles, but Jon kept insisting we had probably only walked 2 or 3.  I was so tired, I couldn't believe that it had only been that far; so, when we got back to the hotel I mapped it out.  And sure enough, we had gone a million miles -- or maybe closer to 7.5.  I felt so proud of myself for making it that far without collapsing (remember?  this is the girl who does not exercise when she's pregnant).
It was so freezing!  I was bundled up for almost the entire weekend, but it was definitely worth it to be in Washington D.C. with Jon.
 Mount Vernon (that's code for George Washington's plantation and tomb)
 Museum of American Indians -- Jon thought that the Indian looked like he was holding a microphone.  As a result, Jon was rocking out next to him.
 Jefferson Memorial
 Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial
 Lincoln Memorial
 Jon and I were surprised at how small the white house was in comparison to all the other museums/monuments, but it was still cool.
 The Capitol -- I was too tired by this time to walk all the way over to the steps, so this was as close as we got.
Natural History Museum -- We couldn't get a good picture of the elephant and me, so I obviously voted to just use the picture where you could see me.

We also went through some more art museums and the Holocaust museum, but didn't get any pictures.
It was such a super fun vacation.  I loved being with Jon and talking over the things that we had seen and learned about.  Hooray -- our Washington D.C. trip was finally realized! 

3 comments:

  1. Janay was such a trooper walking all around DC. I was so proud of her. Way to go Jay!

    And Happy Birthday today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to work in DC before baby time was too close, or before the huge storms rolled in. The East coast can be so cold in the wind, sleet and snow! It seems you saw all the main patriotic sights and others as well. How did you pack all that in? Hope this is a great day for you. February 14th has been an extra special day for years because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! i love that you got to have a little getaway before a new baby comes and makes everything a little more busy. I love DC. What a great place to spend some time with just the two of you. And good job walking a million miles in your pregnant state Jebs.

    ReplyDelete