So, we have now spent an entire day in Berlin and I think it's been pretty awesome.
Our flights were uneventful and the transfer in Amsterdam was easy because all the signs had English translations, so we knew right where to go. Unfortunately, the airport in Berlin wasn't quite as easy.
We got off the plane and waited a good long time for our luggage which never came. So, we had to go to the lost and found. Easily done in theory, but slightly tricky when you don't understand German. I noticed a sign above the baggage claim that said Lost and Found and then had the German translation, so I tried to remember what the word had looked like as we roamed the halls of the airport looking for the elusive lost and found.
As it turns out, the airline lost everyones bags that came in on our flight. So, we waited in an hour long line to give the airline our information so they could get our bags to us when, and if, they found them. Next we tried to find an ATM so we could pull out some euros because the conversion rate was better than at the exchange stands. Sounds easy enough, but again, everything is in German. We couldn't figure out what to do, so Jon just asked every taxi driver we saw if they took American Express until he found one that did.
Our first order of business after checking into our super fancy hotel (thanks PWC) was to find some emergency supplies (deoderant, hairspray, etc) in case the airport didn't get our bags to us by morning. We bought our transportation passes for the week and then set off to figure out the train systems. Our hotel is right across the street from one of the main stations, so at least that part was easy to find. It was pretty funny trying to figure out how to say all the different stops -- German has the longest words ever!
After all was said and done, we spent a relaxing night at our hotel -- minus the midnight interruption because our bags had come -- Wahoo!!
Today I was on my own (of course) since Jon is here to work. So, I talked myself into feeling brave and went out to explore. I think I've pretty well got the sbahn & ubahn (trains) figured out now, although I still get kind of nervous before the first stop because I always think I'm going the wrong way. I realize it doesn't really matter because I can always get off and just cross the platform for the right train, but I still feel nervous somehow.
I spent my time at Gendarmenmarkt and The German History Museum. Gendarmenmarkt is a big plaza that has three beautiful buildings and some statue. Honestly, I don't know who the statue is of, but the buildings are the French and German Cathedral and then a big concert hall. The pictures above are of the concert hall (left) and the French Cathedral. The pictures below are of the German Cathedral (and I guess the concert hall on the far right). Unfortunately I couldn't go inside today because for whatever reason, they were closed on Monday. So, I'll have to venture that way again.
As a result of not going into the buildings at Gendarmenmarkt I had lots of time still, so I kept wandering around until I came upon the Museum of German History. I was completely enthralled. I had planned to be back at the hotel around 3 so I could just relax until Jon got back, but I was having too much fun. I got carried away in the museum, and by the time I asked someone for the time (I need to get a watch) it was already 4:30. I hadn't even seen half of the exhibits, but the plaques were so informative and interesting that I couldn't tear myself away fast enough. I somehow got turned around trying to find my way back to the ubahn (I know it's surprising), mainly because I didn't notice what street I came up on, but luckily I figured it out and still made it home before Jon.
So far I am loving being in Germany and hearing the people speak this language. It makes me wish that I actually understood German instead of just being able to pronounce some of the words. I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow, but I know it will be fantastic!
Our flights were uneventful and the transfer in Amsterdam was easy because all the signs had English translations, so we knew right where to go. Unfortunately, the airport in Berlin wasn't quite as easy.
We got off the plane and waited a good long time for our luggage which never came. So, we had to go to the lost and found. Easily done in theory, but slightly tricky when you don't understand German. I noticed a sign above the baggage claim that said Lost and Found and then had the German translation, so I tried to remember what the word had looked like as we roamed the halls of the airport looking for the elusive lost and found.
As it turns out, the airline lost everyones bags that came in on our flight. So, we waited in an hour long line to give the airline our information so they could get our bags to us when, and if, they found them. Next we tried to find an ATM so we could pull out some euros because the conversion rate was better than at the exchange stands. Sounds easy enough, but again, everything is in German. We couldn't figure out what to do, so Jon just asked every taxi driver we saw if they took American Express until he found one that did.
Our first order of business after checking into our super fancy hotel (thanks PWC) was to find some emergency supplies (deoderant, hairspray, etc) in case the airport didn't get our bags to us by morning. We bought our transportation passes for the week and then set off to figure out the train systems. Our hotel is right across the street from one of the main stations, so at least that part was easy to find. It was pretty funny trying to figure out how to say all the different stops -- German has the longest words ever!
After all was said and done, we spent a relaxing night at our hotel -- minus the midnight interruption because our bags had come -- Wahoo!!
Today I was on my own (of course) since Jon is here to work. So, I talked myself into feeling brave and went out to explore. I think I've pretty well got the sbahn & ubahn (trains) figured out now, although I still get kind of nervous before the first stop because I always think I'm going the wrong way. I realize it doesn't really matter because I can always get off and just cross the platform for the right train, but I still feel nervous somehow.I spent my time at Gendarmenmarkt and The German History Museum. Gendarmenmarkt is a big plaza that has three beautiful buildings and some statue. Honestly, I don't know who the statue is of, but the buildings are the French and German Cathedral and then a big concert hall. The pictures above are of the concert hall (left) and the French Cathedral. The pictures below are of the German Cathedral (and I guess the concert hall on the far right). Unfortunately I couldn't go inside today because for whatever reason, they were closed on Monday. So, I'll have to venture that way again.
As a result of not going into the buildings at Gendarmenmarkt I had lots of time still, so I kept wandering around until I came upon the Museum of German History. I was completely enthralled. I had planned to be back at the hotel around 3 so I could just relax until Jon got back, but I was having too much fun. I got carried away in the museum, and by the time I asked someone for the time (I need to get a watch) it was already 4:30. I hadn't even seen half of the exhibits, but the plaques were so informative and interesting that I couldn't tear myself away fast enough. I somehow got turned around trying to find my way back to the ubahn (I know it's surprising), mainly because I didn't notice what street I came up on, but luckily I figured it out and still made it home before Jon.So far I am loving being in Germany and hearing the people speak this language. It makes me wish that I actually understood German instead of just being able to pronounce some of the words. I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow, but I know it will be fantastic!

JAYYY!!!!!! I was so happy to read this post. I just realized this morning that you were out there...because I tried to call you and you didn't answer and then I called mom and she told me. I think you should do a post everyday so we can feel like we're a part of your european travels. I love thinking of you guys having to figure stuff out with the language barrier. Bri and I are always so stupid not knowing what to do.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe they lost your luggage! That's always one of my biggest fears. Glad you got it back though.
I love you so much! And I hope your next post can have triple the amount of pictures.