First, I had to try and find my way there. I studied my maps and decided it wouldn't be a big deal because there was a train (one I hadn't taken before) that would take me directly there. So, I found said train and settled in for a nice long ride. Unfortunately, the rail was under construction after about the 3rd stop, so they made us all get off and find another way. No problem under normal circumstances, but I hadn't bothered to bring my city map because I knew exactly where I was going and my train map doesn't have street names or anything to tell you where the next station is. So, I got off the train and then wandered aimlessly hoping to find another station.
Amidst the wanderings (which made me kind of nervous because I wasn't familiar with the area and there was graffiti everywhere I looked) I passed a random cool old building that they were renovating. I love old buildings (like the abandoned ones). It makes me wonder what happened there and why it fell into disrepair -- I just know there's some fantastic story behind old buildings. Anyway, long story short, I finally came upon a different train station and figured out a new route to the palace.
All along the street leading up to the palace there is a big walking trail type thing down the middle of the road. It was nice to walk on the trail and see the palace getting ever closer. There were moms with their kids, people walking dogs or riding bikes, etc. I loved it. It was nice to be in a residential area, because up until now I've always been in the business district of Berlin.

I toured the palace (the parts that I could), and then walked around the grounds. The palace gardens are just open to the public, so there were tons of people jogging, riding bikes, and just sitting on benches reading books (even though it was windy, and therefore freezing cold). I loved learning about the royalty who had lived there, and I could just envision them in their fancy gowns hosting lawn parties, and strolling through their forested gardens. The top floor of the palace was redone almost completely because of the damage to it during WWII. But, the main floor still had all the original flooring and some of the original ceilings and wall hangings. It was pretty amazing.


Now, back to yesterday. I visited the Brandenburger Gate and also the Holocaust Memorial. The picture of the Brandenburger Gate is not awesome, but I have this strange anxiety about letting people know I'm about to take pictures. Therefore, any time I get out my camera, while there are people around, I immediately go on stealth mode and try to take the picture as fast as I can. In fact, all the pictures that have me in them are torture for me to take. I turn on that little timer and then agonize over how long it is taking to actually take the picture, all the while I'm standing there posing for myself. I don't know, it just makes me feel too weird and obviously touristy, which apparently is not okay with me. So, there you have it. If there are bad pictures, such as the Brandenburger Gate, you now know why.
I figured the Brandenburger Gate picture disaster wasn't too big a problem since I'll be going there with Jon and I can take a picture with him in it (strangely, this doesn't seem as bad as being a solo picture taking tourist -- I know, weird).The Holocaust Memorial was pretty cool. There is a whole big block that is covered by hundreds of different sizes of rectangle stone slabs, and then there is an information center underground. It takes you through the factual persecution of the Jews and then has a display of personal writings from Jews and prison guards alike. It was terrible and yet amazing at the same time. Sometimes, I had to stop reading halfway through (especially when any mention of children was made) because it made me too sad. Overall, I'm really glad that I went even though it was sad.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Some of the Berlin Wall is right across the street from our hotel. Like, I literally can see it from the front door. At first I thought that they had just moved these pieces here because it's sort of a touristy area, but the wall really ran right along this big main road. Pretty crazy!

FIrst of all I love that cream coat. When You get home from Germany you're going to feel about that coat what I felt about my pink coat in Paris. (Love it, but I'm determined to not take pictures in it again.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you saw that memorial. That was one of my favorite places in Berlin. The Brandenburger Gate is where Michael Jackson hung his baby out the window.
Even though it's scary that you had to fend for yourself and find that place it's cool that you got to see that old abandonned building. Bri loves that kind of stuff, and street art so he's always leading me into "dangerous" neighborhoods.
Lastly, I love your romanticism and nostalgic ways of describing places. I wonder how all of us ended up being like that. Too much make-believe as children perhaps?
I love all of your self-timer pictures. And I for some reason am completely like you. When I'm in a group taking tons of pictures easy, but when I'm by myself I don't want to be too conspicuous.
I LOVE that you are in Germany right now!! Hooray that you and Jon get this experience together! And I'm so proud of you for being daring and just going out and enjoying stuff all on your own. And you are so cute and style-y in your glasses. Like it!
ReplyDelete