Today I decided to visit Alexanderplatz, which is just a big shopping area with a big square in the middle where you can hang out. They have the biggest department store I have ever seen. Seriously, it was ridiculously huge! It took me over an hour just to walk through the whole thing, and I didn't even stop to look at -- or try on -- anything. There were 6 floors -- can you even believe that? And they were all just sprawling. It even had a grocery store -- like you walked in, looked at a million watches, perfumes, etc. -- you know, your regular department store stuff, but then there was a surprise as you walked further into the store. Seriously an entire grocery store like the size of a Smith's or something similar -- way weird. Despite the huge department store, I did find a super cute red tunic which I purchased (for way cheap), so wahoo for Alexanderplatz.
On the way home I decided to try and find Museum Island (it's an area where there are like 4 or 5 museums). A daring venture considering I don't like to wander and look like I don't know where I'm going. So, I didn't even pull out my map -- it was a nice area, so I just walked around like I knew what I was doing and I eventually ran into the first museum. While I was wandering I found yet another randomly cool building. I don't know what it is, but it was lovely (it's the one in the back that doesn't have a crumbling wall).
So, I didn't actually go into the first 2 museums I came to because the lines to get into them were ridiculously long -- like waiting for a ride in Disney Land long. It was crazy. Sterling (you know, Amber's Sterling) gave me his yearly museum pass (thanks Sterling!) and I know he said it made it so I didn't have to wait in the lines, but I just was not brave enough to try and walk in front of all those people who had been waiting forever. Maybe that will be another day.

So, I walked past the super crazy busy museums and came upon the National Gallery and the Altes Museum. They were pretty awesome. The National Gallery is surrounded by a columned wall (who knows why), which was cool. There were all sorts of performers, I'm sure trying to make some money, so it was fun to eat my lunch in the little square and listen to the violinist play some classical pieces.

The Altes Museum was full of Greek/Roman statues and burial artifacts. You have to keep showing your ticket (in my case Sterling's ticket) at different points throughout the museums. It was no big deal until one guard asked for my passport, which I didn't have. Maybe it says on the back that I'm supposed to have it with me or something (remember? I have no German speaking knowledge), but I didn't. The guard seemed pretty annoyed but he didn't kick me out or anything, so I guess it was a-okay.

Across the street from the museums is the Berlin Cathedral. It is so beautiful. I walked all around it, but didn't have the heart to pay to see the inside -- maybe I'll change my tune next week when I'm looking for things to do while Jon's at work.

Jon and I went to the Brandenburg Gate a couple nights ago. It had lights shining up onto it, so we could see it really well. That's pretty much the first thing that Jon has seen in Berlin, other than the Berlin Wall since he passes that on his way to the office. It made me excited for the weekend so we can see some sights together.

This random face is on the building right next to Jon's office. At night it shows peoples faces on it (I don't know how or why, but there it is), and people love it. The guy at the front door asks us every night if we saw the face. He can't get enough of it. Way weird.

No comments:
Post a Comment